Monday, September 27, 2010

Read this: Let's Get Visual: Warm-Up Exercises


A discussion series of sorts started up at Soliloquy in Blue a while ago, where Michelle Smith and Melinda Beasi get together and analyze page layouts in manga. It's an interesting read for seasoned comics fans, but perhaps even more useful to people still learning how to read comics. Their insights are a great guide on how to interpret what's happening in a panel (or even what's suggested in the spaces between panels.)

There are two things in what you’ve said that really resonate with me. Firstly, I’m struck with the import of the door. I almost feel like I’m back in tenth grade, analyzing poetry, but now that you’ve mentioned its abrupt clarity, I’m convinced that there’s some pretty heavy symbolism behind that door being so conspicuously and firmly shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment