Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Read this: O'Malley, Takekuma, and Aihara mega-interview!

A photo of O'Malley and the cover of Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga, complete with Scott Pilgrim-like labels, nabbed right from the interview page. Truly, I am shameless.

It's no secret that Bryan Lee O'Malley, creator of the romantic-action-rock-music-comedy graphic novel series Scott Pilgrim, has been influenced by Japanese comics. One early inspiration was Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga, a parody how-to series by Kentaro Takekuma and Koji Aihara.

Recently, Comics Alliance - a great comics blog in general, by the way - hosted an interview between all three cartoonists. East-meets-West interviews are a rare treat, and this one makes a fine primer on the differences between comics cultures.

Here's a brief bit, where O'Malley discusses the split between "mainstream" and "independent" comics in America:

The whole history of comics in America has been about Marvel & DC superhero characters. New stories and ideas have been in underground or independent comics. I'm generalizing, but that's certainly how it feels to me. I never thought I could have success with my books to the point where I would sell a million copies and have a movie adaptation. It was astronomically unlikely. I would have expected to sell maybe 1000 copies.

No comments:

Post a Comment